Saturday, June 6, 2009

Leland Mississippi

Honeyboy Edwards
Cedric Burnside and Lightnin' Malcolm


Looking across Hwy 61

Bill 'Howlin'-Madd' Perry

someone's guitarist


This was so much fun- ever since we got to Louisiana, I've been waiting to hear some blues.  It's just not as popular as zydeco and cajun fiddle music- and you have to go to Mississippi!  This was a little festival- maybe 20 acts, and a couple of hundered attending- out in a field next to the tracks.  Mostly people our age- or older, counting the musicians.  Leland High was holding its 40th reunion at a nearby picnic table.  And then there's this European faction that loves the blues, plays the blues, and travels to hear it.  We were talking with some people who raised $5300 for the Leland Blues Museum at a benefit in Amsterdam last winter.  Some of them come back every year.

9 comments:

  1. Helmsman, turn that boat around! You're about 300 miles UPriver!

    But you've got some great pictures.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really atmospheric photos!

    I see from the festival site at >http://www.highway61blues.com/festival_page_1.htm that T Model Ford appeared. Did you catch his driving rhythms?!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry! I meant Model T Ford. The joke's on me!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, we saw him- he's one of the old guys.
    I would just love to follow some of them around.
    They tend to play in Europe, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I retract my apology! He IS called T Model Ford! There's a picture of him at http://www.highway61blues.com/blues_musicians.htm

    Glad you enjoyed yourself so much.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  6. they don't have pictures of all this year's performers.
    these were my faves:

    Pat Thomas- first onstage- acoustic, very nice

    Cedric Burnside and Lightnin' Malcolm- 2 young guys making insane amounts of noise, but sort of like old field hollers?

    Bill 'Howlin'-Madd' Perry- very tight group- everything about his playing was good

    Jimmy 'Duck' Holmes- a different regional style, which he explained thusly: "I tune in, what is it, E minor?" -someone confirms yes, that's right- "but I don't know what it is I do- like a baby's born in China, it grows up speaking Chinese."

    found more on him here:
    http://www.arts.state.ms.us/folklife/artist.php?dirname=holmes_jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce and Lorenzo! Alice forwarded this to me and this marks the first time I've ever blogged (if, in fact, I can get it to work). Needless to say, I was fascinated by your account and pictures from the Leland Blues Festival, and impressed by Nick's comments and contributions. Jolly good show.
    Love,
    - yer ol' buddy Alan (San Francisco)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Alan! How are you?!
    Do you feel like going to the Clarksdale Blues Festival in August? I'm forming a pressure group to move Lorenzo toward Mississippi.

    Joyce

    http://www.sunflowerfest.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that's a fabulous idea Joyce but lack of work currently and consequent ditto of funds will mitigate against that: I might host my own do-dough blues festival here though. Otherwise, all is as usual.
    Yours anonymously, U K Slim

    ReplyDelete