Friday, July 24, 2009

Air conditioner


About a year ago we got this 20kw generator at a great price in Morgan City. All the other boats down here had gensets about that size, so I figured that was the unit for me. Now a year later I'm ready to fire the puppy up and I get around to reading the instructions. They tell me that to break it in and seat the piston rings properly, I need to load the generator to at least 75% of capacity for the first 100 hrs, so I sit down to do the math. Seems this little guy will light up a small town, no way do I have enough electrical appliances to draw that much power, so off we go shopping for the air conditioner from hell. The electrician shows up Monday to start wiring up the boat and hooking up the AC and even with that he'll have to add some temporary resistors to get the load high enough. The hydraulics and controls are coming along and it's been raining now and then and that brings the temp down a little. All in all things are moving along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment